Web Design Basics
Let’s cover the basics of Effective Web Design
– and the start of every web design project is having a clear objective. What do you want people to do when they get to your website. Plan and create your overall website, and even every page so that there is a clear path to success for your visitor. Secondary actions can be added later.
– your website copy is the key to communicating to your visitor what you want them to do. When you are designing your website the Headline is the most important aspect of that website copy. Spend time and make clear and effective headlines to improve your web design.
– Have the important key information elements clearly displayed on your website. This is so important to good web design and often overlooked. Business name should be displayed on every page. Contact information should be on every page, as well as on its own contact page. Any other essential information must also be displayed effectively.
– The KISS (Keep It Simple Salesman) principle applies to web design. Keep everything as easy and simple for your visitor. Keeping it simple adds the extra bonus of having an easier to create and maintain website.
– The web is a multi-media platform. Therefore we need to add pictures, diagrams, color, even video and audio. But do not add this for the sake of making it pretty. Add multi-media as a way of making your message more clear. Use pictures and other effects to effectively grab attention and communicate your message. Anything that does not add to that purpose in your web design is simply frivolous.
– Step outside the box. After you have ensured that the above five points on good web design are properly implemented on your website, add some creativity to your site. You are competing with not only your direct competitors, but also your indirect competitors – so find a way to stand out (but DO NOT sacrifice the above 5 critical aspects of a good website design).
Web Design is 95% science and here are the rules to follow to make your website design do what you want – more clicks, more customers, more sales, and more profits.